H.264 (mkv) is a new video compression format more efficient than xvid/divx.
You can rip whole dvd and compressed to be a size of below 500mb.
1. Coping DVD on Hard drive by using dvd decrypter
decrypt dvd on the fly:
RipIt4Me is a freeware utility that helps you backup your copy protected DVDs
2.Choosing one software listed below :
DVD Fab http://www.dvdfab.com/
Fair Use http://www.fairusewizard.com/
HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/ for all platforms
DivX Create Bundle contain trial of DivX Converter http://www.divx.com/en/win
Acid Rip for (linux,unix) http://untrepid.com/acidrip/
ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum http://www.imtoo.com/
3. choosing a codec ex: XviD 1.1.0, DivX 6.0,H264/AVC (Advanced Video Coding) x264,3ivx
Each decoder must be set up.
4.Choosing screen resolution.
There is 2 types of formats on dvd’s:
1) full screen 4:3 – standard format where video is on whole tv screen
2) panoramic 16:9 -screen view has higher width than high
Always start with video resolution of 640×352 or 640×272 or 640×336 or 640×272 or 624×352 or 608×336 or 612×320 or 672×368 or 600×352. .If we want to fit 1 movie on 1cd always choose resolution starting with640 x Huh*
- then the second one would be chosen automatically by software auto Gordian GK] General rule is that if the movie length is 110min we can put it on 1cd that has 700mb.For movies above 120min we generally use 2cd’s.If a movie has 110min-120min the choice depends on our preferences.If you want to fit 2hr movie on 1cd then the resolution needs to be low such as 572×236 ,but then the video won’t look so good.If you choose resolution of 720×480 or 720×360 or 720×384.
then movie would take more space when compressed at that resolution.
5.Choose audio compression format ex .
mp3 -takes less space popular in movies
AC3 -for surround sound and if you play video on home cinema with 4.1,5.1 speakers set.
Also if sound is ahead in your movie you need to move it and correct it by virtual dub mod or gordian knot.
Taking sound off dvd by dvd audio extractor software
7.AviSynth -powerful tool for video post-production
8.Dvd bought in Europe can’t be played in dvd player in North America and vice verse.
Unless you buy a dvd player that reads all regions
These regions were made to protect the dvd trade market and bluray dvd.
DVD region codes:
Region 1 – U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 – Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 – Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 – Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 – Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 – Peoples Republic of China
How to make your DVD-ROM region free to disables the region code protection http://www.doom9.org/rpc1.htm
COMPLETTE GUIDES HOW TO
http://www.divx-digest.com/ -conversion guides
10 newbie tips http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/
other usefull software that does all easily:
Can backup dvd’s ,blurays,dvd HD.
Dvd Fab http://www.dvdfab.com/
DVD neXt COPY http://www.dvdnextcopy.com/
Any Dvd http://www.slysoft.com/
WinDVD 9 http://www.corel.com/
DVD COPY SOFTWARE http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
DVD Authoring Software http://dvd-authoring-software-review.toptenreviews.com/